Math Small Groups, suggestions wanted

We had a great meeting on Thursday, October 17th. The hot seat question was about how to implement math small groups.  While small groups are an expectation of our county, it is difficult to find time to do small groups everyday. The 90 minutes allotted for math flies by. With iReady time, ten minute math, whole group lesson, questions, examples and practice time 90 minutes doesn't seem to be enough. It seems the time just has to be chiseled out and a schedule stuck to, to make this happen. One of our group members shared a rotation done on her grade level to ensure math groups are done. Students rotate through different activities including math games, iready, zearn, and meet with the teacher. This is done for 30 minutes each morning.  I am hoping to implement something similar if only for 1 or 2 days per week. 

I usually form my small groups while grading papers.  I sort the papers into students who have it and those who need help.  Then I sort those who need help according to what they need help on, stack them up and start meeting with students.  This system has worked for me in the past but doesn't always have me meeting with every student and meeting everyone's needs.  I need to have high flyers in a group also.  So I am going to implement a new plan either with my teammates or in my classroom to right this wrong.

If anyone has suggestions for implementing math small groups, please post. Activity suggestions, management suggestions, timing suggestions, accountability suggestions, any suggestions at all - I'll take them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2019 The Second Meeting --- When we learned about Talladega Nights being filmed in Allie's room