First Meeting/Are Data Notebooks Outdated?

After trying out Google Hangouts a couple of times. Our first meeting was set for August 29.  So far I've only convinced four other teachers to join.  All of which I trust and know are good teachers with great ideas.  Some have been teaching a long time like me and some just a few years.  I think it is important to feel like the members of the group are on the same page.  Only two of the four teachers were able to make our meeting.  I was disappointed but understood.  The first week of school is a hectic time to add one more thing to your list.
We caught up for a few minutes and then I put myself in the "hot seat." I asked two questions.  One was simply about their feeling on using our personal cell phones to communicate with parents, take pictures of the class etc.. Our principal had given us a warning of sorts at the staff meeting about it.  I removed Remind from my phone and decided not to use my school email or to take photos of the students.  Apparently the warning wasn't as severe at other schools.  I miss my Remind and texting parents.  I guess that is something to think about.
The other topic I wanted to discuss was data notebooks.  Our principal keeps bringing it up so I wanted to be proactive and creative and have my students create data notebooks. I wanted to do it digitally because a stack of notebooks seems like clutter.  So I asked the group, what should be in it and how could I do it digitally.  After some discussion the conclusion was that data notebooks aren't really what they used to be when we used AR did multiplication drills, spelling words etc... A lot of data students have access to already, grades, iready scores. So maybe data notebooks are outdated and maybe what we need to do is just have a students data all in one place for them to see.  One of the teachers, absent from the meeting, created a paper where scores were recorded as received throughout the year and she periodically reviewed it with the students.  I wonder what other teachers think about data notebooks nowadays...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2019 The Second Meeting --- When we learned about Talladega Nights being filmed in Allie's room