September 26 meeting....technology can be frustrating but the discussion must go on.

Unfortunately during our meeting on 9/26 my internet connection was not strong and I had to drop out of the meeting. Before that happened we discussed soft starts.  I have used soft starts briefly a few years back.  I did it with playdough, paints, legos, stationary, and a few other things I scared up.  It went well but I always feel pushed for time, now more than ever.  Trying to get my iReady minutes, my interventions, my writing conferences etc... done I feel like I can't do soft starts.  I do realize that the benefits could provide me with more time later but I am not ready to  implement this in my room this year.  However another member or our mastermind group is giving it a try so I will await her evaluation.  If you use soft starts, can you share your experience with it.

We also discussed what to do with students well below grade level who are EC but have a chunk of time in the regular classroom other than stick them on the computer. Websites were suggested other than iReady.  I think freereading was one.  I have not used it. When a student is reading at a kindergarten level and has other challenges it is difficult in an upper elementary classroom to find things they can do independently for 45 minutes.

I did not hear much of the conversation that ensued but prior to the meeting I read a few articles about helping students two or more grade levels below in reading.  Many suggestions were found but the common thread was they need time with books.  They need to read more.  So maybe a basket of books could be an activity for 10 minutes.  I know I want to provide my students with more time with books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 12, 2019 The Second Meeting --- When we learned about Talladega Nights being filmed in Allie's room